WHAT IS AB 540?
AB 540 exempts certain students from paying nonresident tuition (higher than resident tuition) and allows them to apply for different types of California Dream Act financial aid.
Students must have
1. Satisfaction of either of the following:
2. Graduated or will graduate from a California high school or obtained a Certificate or General Education Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC).
3. Will register or enroll in an accredited and qualifying California college or university.
4. If applicable, complete(d) an affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as you are eligble.
5. Do not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, B, C, D, E, etc.)**
**If you have Temporary Protected Status or hold a U Visa you may be eligible for the California Dream Act.
Your college is responsible for verifying your AB 540 eligibility. Check with your Admissions Office early in the summer before the Fall Term starts.